The Grisly Salvage — New Yahenni, Darien Helm Smash and Sidisi Flying Zombies
Welcome to my weekly recap! I have some exciting videos for you this week. A new Yahenni, Undying Partisan Commander deck, reanimator versus reanimator and some always fun Villainous Wealth. Just a heads up, this is last week’s videos in review, so be sure and subscribe for the most current content.
Yahenni, Daring Darling
It's new deck Friday! Time to take a walk on the dark side with Yahenni. One thing I really enjoy about Yahenni, Undying Partisan is how fun the games ended up being. Just a little bit about me, I'm 100% a Johnny at heart when it comes to Commander. Style points matter, win or lose. So from my preferred play style of commander, building a deck full of board wipes and spot removal didn't sound that appealing to me, but as I got more games under my belt, the deck became more and more enjoyable. It does follow a linear path of getting down Yahenni, blasting the board away and then chipping in for commander damage. But the flexibility of how hard to push Yahenni is what makes it fun, keeping each game different from the last.
I ended up going with a midrange build of Yahenni. Relying on value creatures like Grave Titan, Necropolis Regent and Deathbringer Regent to close out the late game. I'm also running cards that benefit from the use of board wipes, like Spoils of Blood, Chainer, Dementia Master, Overseer of the Damned and Demon of Dark Schemes. I'm trying to squeeze as much value out of board wipes and spot removal as possible. Sheoldred, Whispering One does exceptionally well in a Yahenni deck. She applies some serious late game pressure with her reanimation and sacrificing, which helps secure a commander damage win, or value reanimating cards like Gray Merchant of Asphodel or Grave Titan with the assistance of Yahenni's sacrifice ability. Even though I'm not running a Voltron build of Yahenni, I still have Blade of the Bloodchief in the deck. This card is too good not to run in any Yahenni deck, no matter what the build. If you want a more detailed breakdown of the deck, check out the deck tech link below.
- Yahenni Deck Tech
- Yahenni vs Brimaz, King of Oreskos (Link)
- Yahenni vs Arcum Dagsson (Link)
- Yahenni vs Keranos, God of Storms (Link)
- Yahenni vs Jacques le Vert (Link)
Yahenni, Daring DarlingView on Archidekt
Sidisi, Wicked Witch vs Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
- Get ready to join up with the wicked witch Sidisi, Brood Tyrant as she gets her flying zombie army ready. To everyone's amazement and Wonder, Sidisi dials in on her Tunnel Vision to summon a zombified Craterhoof. If you're a card carrying memeber of the Golgari or Sultai, be sure and check this video out. When the smoke clears we end up with one card in the library.
- Game Link
Kydele and Reyhan vs Xenagos, God of Revels
- Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix and Reyhan, Last of the Abzan show their versatility by going beatsticks in this match against the beatstick king himself, Xenagos, God of Revels. Chasm Skulker and Hooded Hydra join in on the fight too. They lose their game of "Don't Wake Daddy" when Inferno Titan rolls out of bed to see what the ruckus is about, sending the game into a World at War.
- Game Link
Darien, Helm Smash vs Seton, Krosan Protector
- Enlist! Rise Up! Join the Darien, King of Kjeldor army today! Training will be held at Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth so we can deliver some sweet Karma to Seton. Do your part, help stop the construction of the Helix Pinnacle! Contact Mentor of the Meek for any more details.
- Game Link
Ishkanah, Graf-Widow vs Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer
- Ishkanah, Grafwidow enlists the help of Liliana, the Last Hope and her zombies to help spin a web around Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer's Walking Ballista. Some quick Trash for Treasure thinking from Slobad frees the Walking Ballista from the web, stomping all over Liliana's zombies.
- Game Link
MTG on Twitch
Star City Games - Indianapolis
Time: Saturaday, 10 AM EST. Sunday, 10 AM EST.
Grand Prix - Utrecht
Time: Saturday, 4 AM EST. Sunday, 3 AM EST.