Undead Unleashed Upgrade Guide
Welcome to the Nitpicking Nerds Precon Upgrade Guide for the Undead Unleashed deck, where we cut the chaff and add synergy, power, and consistency to make a deck capable of amassing a threatening horde of zombies!
When upgrading a Commander precon, it’s important to stick to this basic checklist:
- Focus on the strengths of your commander.
- Stick to one main strategy to avoid having an unfocused final product.
- Cut the cards that belong to other strategies altogether.
- Increase the deck’s overall power by including win conditions that don’t rely solely on combat.
Wilhelt’s Undead Unleashed precon will be looking to assemble a full board of Zombies and filter them into new Zombies with Wilhelt to gain card advantage. Once you’ve accrued enough resources, use your massive stack of zombies to attack for lethal, or assemble an infinite loop of zombies with Wilhelt to drain out every opponent!
With that strategy in mind, let’s take out the cards that won’t fit in or are just plain bad.
- , , , and are too expensive for what they do, and none of them are Zombies.
- , , and are not on the level you want to be at when it comes to removal. They are all extremely lackluster and can easily be cut from this deck.
- and aren’t unplayable, but we get to cut them for better mana rocks.
- , , and just don’t belong in a Zombie tribal deck. They were put in the precon to spark interest in other archetypes.
Here are the Zombies and Zombie makers that didn’t make the cut.
- and are decent ways to make Zombies, but are too unreliable to make it into this higher power deck.
- and are too expensive for the effects they provide.
- , , , , , and all qualify as token makers that are too slow, unreliable, or ineffective.
Even though this is a Zombie tribal deck, some of the weaker payoffs need to be cut.
- and provide bonuses for your tokens, but they aren’t important enough to stay in the deck.
- is basically unplayable, unless you’re in a different style of Zombie tribal.
- Merely granting +1/+1 to your creatures usually isn’t worth a card by itself, and , , , and don’t provide enough value beyond that to remain in the deck.
When upgrading a preconstructed deck, never forget the land base!
- is a slow tapped land that isn’t worth your time.
- doesn’t grant enough upside for being in a tribe and is worse than a regular dual land.
- 5 s and 3 s round out the land cuts.
That’s 39 cards cut in total from the Undead Unleashed deck that are now turning into fantastic ways to advance your game plan!
Here are a few off-tribe staples that help supercharge the deck.
- is one of the best cards in the entire format, and can take advantage of it better than most commanders out there.
- is definitely one of the best black cards in Commander, and will dominate boardstates nearly every time he is cast.
- and provide one-sided board wipe opportunities with all of the decayed Zombies you’ll have laying around.
Here are a few Zombies that will carry out various utility roles in the deck.
- is a crucial free sacrifice outlet that has the right creature types and will enable lots of decayed Zombie production. Cards like will gain you massive advantage from these plays.
- supplies some nice incidental mill and is a fine one-drop.
- , , , and are all individually powerful Zombies that can swing games in your favor, especially with all the decayed corpses you have access to.
These Zombie tribal payoffs really tie the deck together and crank up its power as well.
- and become more threatening the more Zombies you put in play, and can each be activated multiple times.
- and are both anthem effects worth playing; cost reduction, an extra power boost, and recursion make them well worth it over the other mediocre lords. also does a nice job of recurring threats when paired with a sac outlet, as does , one of the best Zombie top-end cards ever printed.
- and punish opponents when Zombies die, which will happen about every five seconds.
- paired with and a sac outlet gives you yet another one-sided board wipe!
- is one of the greatest tribal payoffs ever, and is a literal auto-include in any deck that can afford it. Play it and be happy!
These next cards have special purposes in the deck: they can all achieve combo-kills out of nowhere!
- , once transformed, works in tandem with to generate an infinite amount of non-decayed Zombies with a sacrifice outlet. Add in a effect for an instant win!
- and (already in the deck) are classic partners in crime, enabling lots of broken shenanigans.
- With any of these engines chugging along, , , and will provide you with potentially endless mana or mill for opponents!
Lastly, the lands and mana rocks are getting a boost.
- , , and round out the last of the ramp.
- , , , , and are all fantastic MDFC’s that prevent flooding and mana screw at the same time.
- , , , and will help make sure you always have access to as much blue and black mana as you could ever need.
- is a silly land. Any black deck with expendable creatures can take huge advantage of it.
That wraps up the Undead Unleashed Precon Upgrade Guide! Once you make these changes, you’ll be ready to continuously tear down your Zombie horde to build a stronger one in its place!