Ranking Every Equipment with EDHREC - 2022 Edition
(Volkan Baǵa) |Art by
The Sins of the Past Must Be Accounted For!
It has come to my attention that I forgot a mana rock in the 2022 round-up (like, not even forgot to put it in the data, just literally forgot to talk about it. This cannot stand. Every mana rock needs a write-up, so let's talk about it right now before anything else!
113:: 2,677 Decks
It's a better.
It's still not ideal.
Over, Under, or Just Right? Just Right: Good, glad I got that off my chest! Let's now talk about the Equipment that released in 2022.
Wait, Equipment? Oh right, shoot!
Equipment of 2022
- Eligible Sets: Innistrad, Crimson Vow, Crimson Vow Commander, Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty, Neon Dynasty Commander, Streets of New Capenna, New Capenna Commander, Commander Legends: Battle of Boulder's Gate, Dominaria United, Dominaria United Commander, Unfinity, Warhammer 40k Commander
- Previous Number of Equipment: 328
- New Additions from 2021: 59
- New Number of Equipment: 387
Did Wizards once again release way too much Equipment to feature in a regular year end round-up article? Yes, they did.
Have I been able to convince the editors to let me publish an article that is 10,000 words long? No, I have not.
Am I then going to do what I did last year and speed run through all the Equipment that I don't have much to say on? Yes, I am.
So let's do that.
All The Equipment I Didn't Have Space For 2: Electric Boogaloo
- 387: : 58 Decks; Underplayed: It's gotta be better than .
- 367: : 183 Decks; Just Right: Welcome, Citizen!
- 366: : 185 Decks; Just Right: Everybody freaked out when was spoiled, but nobody minds the literal jackhammer?
- 363: : 193 Decks; Overplayed: It bad.
- 349: (Tie) : 275 Decks; Just Right: For some reason, the chainsaws don't bother me as much.
- 349: (Tie) : 275 Decks; Overplayed: They took and removed the one cool thing you could do with it.
- 338: : 336 Decks; Just Right: Good flavor pick, that's all.
- 337: : 338 Decks; Just Right: Holding a broom.
- 334: : 351 Decks; Just Right: It's a better .
- 326: : 414 Decks; Overplayed: It's not even .
- 309: : 491 Decks; Overplayed: Meh.
- 296: : 581 Decks; Just Right: Kinda cute in .
- 288: : 634 Decks; Overplayed: Doesn't even , 0/10.
- 280: : 678 Decks; Just Right: Six mana for +6/+0? Ehhhhhhh, pass.
- 276: : 693 Decks; Underplayed: Honestly, when is still the best pinger option, there's probably a home for this with deathtouch commanders.
- 269: : 780 Decks; Just Right: We'll talk Reconfigure, generally, later.
- 254: : 1,002 Decks; Just Right: But not now.
- 240: : 1,205 Decks; Just Right: Or now.
- 239: : 1,227 Decks; Overplayed: Can you be patient for, like, two seconds?
- 234: : 1,434 Decks; Underplayed: This is the best they've done maybe ever?
- 223: : 1,486 Decks; Overplayed: Uggggggggggggggh.
- 214: : 1,746 Decks; Underplayed: Okay fine, if you wanna play Reconfigure, play this one!
- 212: : 1,895 Decks; Underplayed: Not every initiative card can be . Also good with deathtouch.
- 208: : 1,957 Decks; Overplayed: I'm very mad at the color blue this year.
- 192: Ooh, got any sausage? : 2,187 Decks; Just Right:
- 185: : 2,219 Decks; Overplayed: It's not even .
- 183: : 2,422 Decks; Overplayed: Don't get the play here. You can do better!
- 180: : 2,154 Decks; Overplayed: It's , but for Warriors.
- 179: : 2,618 Decks; Overplayed: Reconfigure aside, this is not the best way to restock your hand even in red.
- 176: counters decks! : 2,697 Decks; Just Right: It's good in the
- 173: : 2,790 Decks; Underplayed: IDK, sure?
- 171: : 2,850 Decks; Overplayed: I SAID I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT RECONFIGURE YET WILL YOU JUST GIVE ME A MINUTE?
- 166: We like to party. : 2,983 Decks; Just Right:
- 152: : 3,419 Decks; Overplayed: It's again again again.
- 151: : 3,674 Decks; Overplayed: It's still not .
- 142: : 4,069 Decks; Underplayed: Always up for cheap ways to give things double strike.
- 138: : 4,273 Decks; Just Right: I actually like this one. Works well with other Equipment.
- 126: : 4,715 Decks: Just Right: It’s with a bunch of extra text.
- 116: : 4,909 Decks: Underplayed: Like a build-your-own . Neat!
- 99: : Underplayed 6,821 Decks; Slightly worse + a seems decent.
- 88: : 8,171 Decks; Overplayed: This one is just !
- 84: : 8,579 Decks; Just Right: Double strike with a bonus here!
- 80: : 9,161 Decks; Just Right: I prefer , honestly.
- 20: : 30,254 Decks; Just Right: And a white , because why not?
And now the fifteen or so Equipment I wanted to talk about this year. Apologies if I missed your favorite. There're way too many of these things!
277:: 630 Decks
I remain annoyed that they wanna put all these card draw Equipment in the color that does not need the help. Like, I get that it's on flavor, but the rest of the color pie still has to play. In any case, actually seems really good. It's basically three mana to draw three in Equipment decks, or any deck with tons of evasive creatures. which is pretty good, and it's super good with other ways to recur it. I like it!
Over, Under, or Just Right? Underplayed: It's faster than, anyway.
219:: 1,645 Decks
Along similar lines here,is two mana to equip, draws a card on damage, and gives no buff. is three mana to equip, almost always draws a card since Voltron commanders are usually the biggest beef on board, and can give a pretty substantial buff half the time? Yeah, I'm kinda into this. So long as they refuse to give us good card draw Equipment, I'll take what I can get.
Over, Under, or Just Right? Underplayed: I even kinda like it in.
216:: 1,442 Decks
My first though with google how to say it."was "that's a very cool name I have no idea how to pronounce. I should probably
My second though was "Oh, hey! Equipment. Cool!" And it is, except probably 60% of the advantage of was that it was colorless and a creature. is neither of those. No colorless, mono-red, or mono-blue decks for this; no , , or shenanigans, either.
Granted, the card is not devoid of synergy. You can still do things likewith it to exile a thing every turn, and being an Equipment opens up some synergy for this in Voltron decks. But, I don't know, Voltron decks don't really wanna pay six mana for their value-based removal, do they? Artifact decks are surely fine enough with , yeah?
Over, Under, or Just Right? Overplayed: Unless you wanna just play it because it's a really cool sword. I won't diss you for doing that.
189:: 2,299 Decks
I hear a little voice in my head saying "!" when I look at , so I'm already paying attention to this card. Blood tokens are not quite as usable as Treasures or Clues, but they're still pretty good value for decks that want to make artifact tokens, like our dear friend or .
Over, Under, or Just Right? Underplayed: All that plus Blood itself being harder to make than Treasure, andlooks like a solid role-player.
172:: 2,845 Decks
Okay! This is, like, the limit of how good an-style card needs to be for me to be interested. I'm not even a huge fan of , but it seems good if you get two attacks in, and passable with one. Fine, whatever! You can have this one.
Over, Under, or Just Right? Just Right: Maybe I need to play Warhammer, but I have no idea how wielding a bunch of swords makes you more buff over a prolonged period.
161:: 3,177 Decks
I could once again complain about a blue Equipment that draws cards, butis just absurd. I play as a way to sculpt pretty absurd hands, and Mask absolutely gives me that vibe. Even if you put this on a 3/3, that's still draw three, discard three, and you probably get at least one counter on your friend. That's pretty good, and when you put this on a 10/10? Ooooh, I love it! I love it a lot!
Over, Under, or Just Right? Underplayed: Obviously, you only wanna play this if you have creatures that are evasive, but when you do, this is fantastic.
135:: 4,124 Decks
Wow. Just a strictly better. The power creep, man.
is not nor will it ever be . You play Confidant when your curve is a stalagmite placed at two mana as a way to draw cards early and often. is not gonna draw you cards early, nor really very often. That's not the place for this.
And while the card is probably fine in Voltron decks, the place it really belongs is in the life payment decks:, , , things like that. These cards might play it for the first line of text alone. The card draw and life loss are delicious upside on this card, and the buff is just gravy.
Over, Under, or Just Right? Just Right: Also, it's good in. PS, why have you not built yet?
132:: 4,540 Decks
This, uh, doesn't seem good? I don't get it.looks like a worse and ? What's the upside here of playing Orb in particular? It's a stupid amount of mana to equip. It still doesn't get around exile or bounce removal. It's worse than indestructible since you lose the creature for the turn if someone kills it. Barring the precon it was printed it, I don't see the appeal here.
Over, Under, or Just Right? Overplayed: Pokeball, Gooooooo!
106:: 5,991 Decks
Did you have "callback to the snake people, ala" on the Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty bingo card? We got a callback to Sakiko before we got another card with Epic. I am slightly miffed.
Only slightly miffed, though, because this card is very fun. It's basically an Equipment version of, which is a weird card. It's only going in dedicated green combat decks, but when you find the deck that wants this specific card? Oh boy, it's real easy for it to add three, four, five mana. Sometimes more. It's like a on steroids.
is basically that but as a Reconfigure creature, meaning that it's slower than Mark, but much more resilient to removal and attachable to bigger creatures. Sounds good to me. A whole new generation of players can experience the joy of attaching this to an .
Over, Under, or Just Right? Underplayed: I was more of a Mario World than Mario Bros 3 guy, but I still 100% sign off on calling this a Tanuki Suit.
101:: 6,579 Decks
Oh, goody! Another card draw Equipment for the color that could runas an option and still probably be better off than Boros. Whoooooooooooooo.
There're two subsets of decks on's page. There are the Equipment or Voltron decks that run this, and I was just complaining that they don't have much card draw, but at four mana to equip, I don't think this is what they want. I know some people are going to bring up , but if I'm ranking people out with Aid, it's with things like that kill people.
Then there are the Shamans, Warlocks, and Wizards that are populating this card's page. Your, your , your . These I like better, but you gotta have evasion for it, so yay for Alela with flying, yay for Cecily because she always wants to get in, but boo for since he's not gonna be quite as high on evasion.
Over, Under, or Just Right? Overplayed: Can we just get a better colorless card draw Equipment thanalready?
85:: 8,361 Decks
So Reconfigure might have a bunch of extra text and give some creature stats, but by and large, we can go back to Equipment fundamentals to evaluate these cards.
Question for the class: why don't we play? If you answered, "Because the equip cost is ludicrous," congrats! You remembered the fundamentals. It's never in the casting cost that these mediocre Equipment get you. It's in the equip cost. That's what you're primarily spending up front, and it's what you're respending should you need to rebuild.
Most of the Reconfigure creatures have pretty mediocre equip costs for not much benefit. All the common ones are obvious, but even something likeor are still pretty mediocre Equipment for the mana you invest. The upside is that they're creatures to wear the Equipment when you don't have one, but if that's all you want, play or , because those are cheap and are also back-up creatures.
is probably the most evident example because it's a whopping five mana to Reconfigure. That's absurd, especially for a thing that grants no buff to power or toughness. I know people are gonna reach for and friends, but even Ardenn has better things to spend time on than this. The only real case I can see for running this is if you wanna combo with it, like with or something, but at that point, just run and skip the rigamarole.
Over, Under, or Just Right? Overplayed: Reconfigure is cute, but not really for EDH. The reasonis good is because it's a and has a relevant creature type, not because it's a Reconfigure card.
71:: 11,050 Decks
Hey, look! A super.
Isgood? I don't know, but I also don't really care. It makes any creature into a mini- . You know that's gonna lead to some shenanigans!
Over, Under, or Just Right? Just Right: I probably could have snuck this in the Equipment roundups, but the card made me laugh.
67:: 11,452 Decks
Speaking of cards that make me laugh, way back in the eons of my planeswalker series, I mentioned a really silly combo you could do with and where you could make him a creature and then protect him from being attacked while still getting all his loyalty abilities.
Well, nowcan do that with any 'walker. You know we're signing up for some shenanigans here. I would like my to mentor itself. Sounds lovely! I would like a copying an , yes indeed. I would like to kill someone with commander damage. This card is wonderful.
Over, Under, or Just Right? Just Right: All of this in my veins now.
33:: 18,762 Decks
Here's one of the only Reconfigure dorks I like.is one of the most efficient ways to give double strike available. It's more efficient than both and . Being a creature gives the card its own batch of upsides and downsides, but the Equipment side of this is good enough, that I'm into it. This is a Voltron staple. Heck, I'd consider it a Commander staple.
Over, Under, or Just Right? Underplayed: The only real limiter here is the red color identity, but that still gives it many homes.
18:: 32,280 Decks
(1030 Decks as a Commander [Yes this can be a Commander], 33,933 Decks in the 99)
I think this year is mocking me.
I could get kinda persnickety aboutbeing above both and as the best Equipment of the year. I mean, artifact decks have tons of card draw, and this is fighting for one of this coveted slots at five mana, no less.
But I'll give it a pass. Equipmentis going to be absolutely busted in any cheerios-style deck, and still quite good in any artifact deck that wants to play it. You'll flood out sometimes with it, but you younguns will learn quickly that the player with the often wins the game.
Over, Under, or Just Right? Just Right: Plus, it's a Jellyfish, and I like jellyfish.
Jellyfish are the Most Adorable Freaks of Nature
I will let you get back to your Phyrexia: All Will Be One brewing now. Oh wait, first tell me what you think about these Equipment. Anything I didn't talk about that you wanna gush over? Anything in what I did talk about that I overrated? Post your thoughts down below! Until next week!